Everyone wants a healthy, well-functioning brain. But sometimes tumors can develop, causing sickness and dysfunction within the body.
Last month, we discussed the various signs and symptoms of a tumor depending on its location among the brain’s four lobes. This month, we are looking at the results of a tumor on the cerebellum and brain stem.
Recapping General Brain Tumor Symptoms
As discussed in last month’s article, a brain tumor can push into the brain and skull and cause “raised intracranial pressure.” This creates general symptoms like:
- Headaches that grow worse over time
- Sickness that is congruent with the headaches
- Bouts of drowsiness or temporary unconsciousness
- Vision impairment like blurriness, floaters, and tunnel vision
- Deviation in personality and behavior
While these symptoms alone are not immediate warning signs, a patient who experiences most or all of them at similar times should consider the possibility of a brain tumor.
Specific Symptoms Based on Brain Location
In addition to the general issues, patients can develop specific symptoms of a brain tumor depending on where it grows in the brain.
Signs of a Brain Tumor on the Cerebellum
The cerebellum sits at the back of the brain and is responsible for balance and posture. A tumor on the cerebellum can cause:
- Loss of balance and motor skills
- Sensations of sickness
- Bouts of dizziness
- Involuntary movements like eye twitches
Signs of a Brain Tumor on the Brain Stem
The brain stem connects to the spinal cord and controls different bodily systems. A tumor on the brain stem can cause:
- Swallowing and speaking problems
- Walking and balancing complications
- Vision issues, primarily seeing double
The signs of a brain tumor can be frightening and painful. If you or someone you love is facing the possibility of a tumor on the brain, speak to the specialists at Georgia Neurological Institute. We offer leading solutions to diagnose and successfully treat tumors so that you may find relief. Schedule an appointment with us today: 478-743-7092
Thank you for checking out part 2 of our 3-part blog series on brain tumors. Stay tuned for next month’s blog, and check out part 1 if you missed it:
- Signs of a Brain Tumor, Part 1: The Four Lobes
- Signs of a Brain Tumor, Part 2: The Cerebellum and Brain Stem
- Signs of a Brain Tumor, Part 3: The Glands