Physical Therapy Services
Georgia Neurosurgical Institute’s physical therapy service is for medically stable individuals who are cleared for activity and struggle with:
- Balance impairments
- Decreased strength
- Impaired coordination
- Impaired mobility/gait
- Spine and joint pain
How Does the McKenzie Method Work?
GNI approaches physical therapy by using the McKenzie Method. Members of our team are certified in Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment (MDT). MDT is a systematic approach to examination and evaluation for patient management that applies to acute, subacute, and chronic conditions of the spine and the extremities. It provides a foundation for evaluating treatment options and emphasizes patient empowerment and self-treatment. Its greatest success lies in the practitioner being fully-trained and committed to the integrity of the system.
- Step 1 – Active Examination: The clinician listens to a patient’s detailed history and observes repeated movements or positions during the unique MDT examination process. The clinician then establishes a clear direction with a solid baseline to develop an individualized management plan.
- Step 2 – Dynamic Diagnosis: Patients will be prescribed specific exercises and given guidance for appropriate postures and behaviors to adopt or temporarily avoid outside the clinic. The clinician can quickly re-evaluate from the baseline and observe how symptoms and range of movement change to maintain the course or modify the plan. This may include hands-on techniques as needed.
- Step 3 – Reliable Intervention: By learning how to self-treat a current impairment, patients gain practical knowledge to minimize the risk of recurrence and rapidly deal with symptoms if they do recur.
Prevention is the ultimate goal and patient education is a chief component with MDT.
Kristin E. Reeves, PT, DPT, OCS, Cert MDT
- A graduate of Ithaca College with a doctoral degree in physical therapy
- 12 years clinical experience treating patients with neck/back pain (conservative and postoperative), neurological conditions (CVA, MS, CP, spinal bifida, TBI, SCI, GB, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson’s disease), amputations (AKA, BKA), and generalized weakness
- McKenzie Certified in Mechanical Diagnosis and Treatment
- Board Certified in Orthopedics